Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Difficult Task

On Kodiak Island there are less than 12,000 people.  We are a tight knit community and just over a month ago two men were murdered.  It has profoundly affected all of us.  In a larger city most people would continue about their normal lives without feeling much affect from this kind of event.  But when you live in a small town on a island 200 miles from the mainland you can't ignore it.  This was a little closer to home for me and my husband because these two men were part of our Coast Guard family.  The Coast Guard is the smallest branch of the military and it is not unusually to repeatedly come across people you have served with else where.  My husband has proudly served his country for 15 years and he was acquainted with these men.  They were husbands, fathers, upstanding community members and we are feeling loss.  I can not begin to imagine what their families are going through.

The task I have taken on is a t-shirt quilt for the son of one of these men.  It is a heartbreaking task that I am struggling with.  I am hoping I don't leave too many tears on the shirts as I cut and sew them into something that can be wrapped around for comfort during this difficult transition.  I probably won't share many pictures because they aren't mine to share.  This one is personal.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Heather that is terrible. I'm so sorry to hear about your DH's friends. I'm sure you will do a wonderful job on the quilt. I'll pray that your hands will be guided in love.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate your support. I try to reply to every comment here in the comments.

Union Square - A Classic & Vintage Block

Welcome back everyone!  I'm excited to share another Vintage & Classic block with from Fat Quarter Shop.  Their tutorials...