Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Stars Over Gnoma (A Winterkist Quilt)




I've been sharing peeks of this project on Instagram but for the most part this one had under wraps because I wasn't sure where I was going with it.  This is the first quilt that I have improvised my way through, usually I follow some sort of instructions or pattern.

Back in May, I won the Winterkist Gnomas and some 6 inch squares from Monica (the Happy Zombie herself).
@happy_zombie my Gnomas arrived. #winterkist #funmailday #fabric

I spent a few days enjoying the fantastic-ness of the fabric, before I decided to split the squares down into 3". 
3" squares

Then I cut most of them into triangles and paired them with some Kona Ash that I had in my stash and started chain piecing.
Chain piecing #winterkist
They turned in to wonky stars (which was a first for me).
 I'm seeing stars! #winterkist #fabric 
I was inspired by the lay out of Elizabeth's Sparkle Punch Quilt.  My lay out is not identical.  I liked the way the star in her quilt were touching but I wanted a bit more randomness so I put a few spaces between my stars.
The Gnomas got trimmed down a bit and sew on to after the white Kona had been added to the bottom.  I used some jumbo ric-rac on the seam between the ash and the white to soften up the edge.

At the moment it measures about 35 inches by 48 inches.  I think it is destined to grace the wall of the playroom during the holiday because the colors and Gnoma are so fun.  Finishing it will depend on when I can afford to buy backing fabric (I already spent my fabric allowance for the month).  It's been such a fun project to let my imagination run wild with.  I think there will be some colorful hand quilting or embroidery added too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate your support. I try to reply to every comment here in the comments.

Union Square - A Classic & Vintage Block

Welcome back everyone!  I'm excited to share another Vintage & Classic block with from Fat Quarter Shop.  Their tutorials...