Pages

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Handmade Wardrobe ~ Shirt No.1 Pattern

I have acquired quite a stash of fabric specifically saved for making clothes for my self and my kids.  I began collecting and making with it when we lived in Alaska because finding unique, well fitting garments was difficult in our little town.  Of course, we all know that stashes seem to grow faster than we can actually use them but I finally feel like I'm making a dent and getting more handmade items into my closet.

I recently watched a class on Creativebug by Sonya Philip's the designer behind 100 Acts of Sewing.  The class showed how to make her Shirt No. 1 pattern and a few really creative variations.  Since I'm pretty much a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl, the simple silhouette of this top will help me up my game without being uncomfortable. 


I was pretty confident that a straight up size L would fit me based on the fact that the pattern has a boxy shape, so I pulled out this great voile from an older Anna Maria Horner line.  With only two pattern pieces to cut, this top came together really quickly.  My only struggle was with the bias binding at the neckline...I had to try three times to get it to lay flat.

 


As you can tell it hits me higher on my hip, but since I'm fairly tall this wasn't a big surprise.  I will probably length the top a bit the next time I make one and I want to make one with the contrasting yoke.  I've already worn this one a couple of times and the voile will definitely make it easy to wear layered under a cardigan during Virginia's cooler months and in the summer when the humidity is  hits.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate your support. I try to reply to every comment here in the comments.

Union Square - A Classic & Vintage Block

Welcome back everyone!  I'm excited to share another Vintage & Classic block with from Fat Quarter Shop.  Their tutorials...